Monday, April 13, 2015

Dear Girl with the Insecurities: I see you

You were hanging out with your best friend; talking, laughing, singing, having a great time.
I joined in on the fun. 
I saw you. 
Slowly but surely as the time ticked away I watched as you became quiet. 
I watched you shut down. 
Until you slowly and silently slipped from the room, thinking that no one saw you leave. 
But you are wrong; I saw you. 
I saw the hurt.
I saw the silent cry to be seen.
I saw the longing to be good enough, smart enough, talented enough. 
I saw these emotions in your eyes and body as you walked out. 
I saw you. 
As you slipped away I wondered why you left, I wondered about what I saw in your eyes. Then it hit me. I stole your friend right out from under you; pushed you aside and instead of adding to the fun I stole it all.
And I want you to know that I am sorry. 
I am sorry that I let you walk away. 
I am sorry that I was selfish.
I am sorry that because of the conversation you felt like you did not belong
I am sorry that I did not take a moment to remind you of the truth.

You see, the truth is you walked away believing a lie, and I did nothing to counter that lie. 
I let you walk away and I am sorry. 

The world that we live in has given you this terrible gift: the gift of insecurity.
Our culture is screaming at us from all sides that you need to act a certain way, and dress in a certain style. but the truth is that you don't need all of the bells and whistles of this world: Facebook, twitter, instagram, snap-chat, texting, or even a phone. You don't need to wear American Eagle jeans or designer tops with all the matching accessories. 
You don't need to be a great singer or play a bunch of instruments.
You don't need any of those things because that is exactly what they are; things. 
But some where along the way you started to believe the lie that if you did not have all of these things you are not good enough, and so started the opening of the terrible gift.
But I want you to stop and listen to me for just a second. 

The world is lying to you. 

The things of this world will pass away.
The truth is you are loved, cherished, and wanted.
You are enough.
You are passionately pursued
You are treasured
You are totally accepted 
And most importantly, as a believer, you are complete in Christ.  
You are a beloved daughter of the King.
You are beautiful. 

I long for you to believe the truth and for the truth to set you free. 
I can't make you believe, but I can show you what it looks like if only I would take the time to, not just see you, but to stop you. Take you aside and love you. In little ways remind you that you are loved, not just by me, but by the Most High God. 
You are His beloved, bought with a price. 

My dear friend, I love you and want to see you blossom into a woman that is confident and sure. One who finds her security in Christ alone.
My prayer for you is that when you look in the mirror you see a one-or-a-kind master piece. One who is chosen and beloved.
This is my promise to you: I will stop you. I will take the time to remind you that you are unique and there is on one like you. You are loved.

Sincerely,

The girl who sees you
















No comments:

Post a Comment